Sunday, June 1, 2008

humanity reloaded

Traveling makes you realize things about yourself.

After being turned down at KramerBooks because we all couldn't sit at one table together (because I'm not 21, daaaaaamn) yeaaaah, that kinda sucked. I was kinda bummed about the whole 21-thing, mostly because I really like hanging out with these people. I started walking home and then I decided to, on a whim, duck into the Walgreens on 23rd and N, about a block away from my apartment.

I met Keith O'Donnell there.

He's no politician, he's no student, hell, he's not even my age, but in his own right he's important, just like everyone else is. Nope, he's homeless. And he was trying to scrounge up $10.56 to pay for some food at Walgreens. I felt something inside of me I haven't felt for a while, and I decided to just swipe my card and be done with it. Had a conversation and I was on my way. Before I left, I asked him his name.

I remember when I was begging for money in Greyhound stations people would just give you money so you'd go away. No one wanted to hear your story. I wasn't about to let that happen again. That's why I talk to people the way I do, I realize. I want to hear their stories. I want to hear your story. It's common dignity. We're social creatures, as awkward as some of us can be--and being desocialized, dehumanized, and deconstructed leaves you broke-down and dead. It's scary how much just being called by your name can do for you, by the way. I know this.

I hope Keith's okay. If I see him around again, I'll try to help him out and see what else I can do. Street smarts tell me he's no addict, he's genuinely in a tough situation. One much worse than mine, for all I complain about.

I'm lucky. And I'm sucking all that poison out. I ain't no fuckin' robot, and I can never be. Thanks.

1 comment:

keyclubfreeeek said...

♥ i wish i could tell. i always used to give homeless people money. but then i started getting scared that they`d use it for drugs. except i still feel bad when i walk right past them because what if they weren`t going to use it for drugs? sighh. crummy.

♥<34